It’s June. Can you believe it? We are halfway through 2016. Before you know it, we’ll be throwing out delicious holiday foods and chatting about the chilly weather. But first things first! We have the summer! There’s so much to prepare for: hot weather, outdoor parties, hot weather, vacations, hot weather, and “summer-proofing” your home. So, what needs to be done to ready your home for the season? OFFICIALLY, summer doesn’t start for a couple of weeks, but let’s face it, we’re already in a summer frame of mind.
- Check on, and update first aid supplies, as needed. Of course, anything can happen at any time, but in the summer it’s more likely that a kid will fall off the swing set than in the dead of winter. And you probably don’t get a poison ivy rash in November. Be a scout, and be prepared.
- You’ll start to use your hose or sprinkler, and many people don’t know that it’s a good idea to check it frequently for issues. Holes will waste water and may cause flooding if it doesn’t distribute water properly.
- Screen doors swinging…when you install them for the summer. Let the air in your home recirculate with the fresh breezes. Make sure the screens, and that goes for the ones on the windows, too, are hole-free unless you want to be swatting mosquitoes on the sofa.
- Make sure the cooling systems you have in place, work properly. The air-conditioning runs how it should. Dust free ceiling fans. And anything is fixed before it gets REALLY HOT.
- Have you been wanting to install a patio or deck? How about a fence around your backyard? Plan to either do it yourself this month, or make the appropriate arrangements with a professional so you can enjoy it the rest of your summer.
- It’s probably been raining a lot where you are this spring. And the leaves have been falling from the trees, as leaves usually do. Take advantage of the nice summer days and get rain gutters and spouts cleared out in anticipation of summer storms.
- Get your house summer ready in the most fun way possible: decorating. Change out your accents, like rugs and curtains, for something lighter and fresh. Clean off the window blinds that so kindly protect you inside from the humidity outside.
- Summer means the pool. It means sprinklers. It means wading through water. Soggy, wet mess waiting to happen. UNLESS. Unless you designate a special area for all soggy, wet messes of bathing suits and towels to live until dry (and sand can be shaken out, if this applies to you!) Try the laundry room or mudroom to keep everything separate from the rest of the house.
- Do your summer plans consist of camping, or trips to the beach? Unless you’ve already left, June is a great month to dig out, organize, clean and repair any gear you may need.
- Last, but definitely not least, have fun! Make a summer fun list that you want to do, and activities and plans you want to make with your friends and family. Don’t forget to relax and appreciate the classic summer plans like sitting on your porch with a cold glass of lemonade.
What are your plans for June? What about for the rest of the summer? Give us some ideas in the comments section below!