Have you been browsing furniture ads lately? There are lots of new and exciting pieces available for every room in your home. If you’re considering furnishing a room or adding a few new items to your home, you might be overwhelmed. There are so many furniture options these days. Plus, how do you know you’re getting the best deal? What is the quality of the furniture that caught your eye? Interior decorating and furnishing can be a daunting task for anyone—even the most enthusiastic decorators.
So, how do you choose the furniture that’s best for you? Today, we’re teaching you how to weigh your options so that you can select new furniture that checks off everything on your list. Let’s get started!
The best way to approach the task of buying furniture is to outline the specifics of what you’re looking for. If you know you want a brown dresser with nickel or silver drawer pulls, write it down or make a note of it on your phone. If you know what style you’re looking for, but you’re not sure what color or details will speak to you, just make your list as specific as you can.
Are you not sure where to start as far as design goes? Look to the internet and interior design flipbooks for inspiration. Browse catalogs and blogs and other pictures to get an idea of the furniture style you’re looking for.
Another thing to consider that will definitely shape your search is the price point. Crunch the numbers and figure out how much you’re willing to spend on the furniture you need. This might take some browsing research to figure out what the general cost of a sofa or nightstand would be. Keep in mind, you might find something you love along the way, so make sure your budget has room for extras.
Additionally, think about financing options. It’s easy to pay for furniture in monthly or weekly payments. Plus, you can avoid the hassle of waiting to save up for your furniture to pay for it all at once. Payment options allow you to shop when you have an immediate need for new furniture.
Now that you have a general idea what you’re looking for and what you’re willing to spend, it’s time to shop! We’ve rounded up ten things you should keep in mind while you’re browsing and making decisions:
- Remember the other items in your room or home. Just because you love the turquoise chest you recently saw online, doesn’t mean it will match the rest of your living room decor. Be aware of your existing furniture while you’re shopping. Of course, if you’re replacing or starting from scratch, the sky is the limit!
- Keep color and texture in the forefront of your mind while you browse. It’s easy to find something that’s close, but not exactly the color or finish you had in mind. Create a generic color palette and list of textures and finishes that meet your standards and don’t settle for “almost” what you’re looking for.
- Think about the purpose of the pieces you’re buying. If you’re shopping for a dining set, do you need a table and chairs to fit in your kitchen or dining room? If you’re looking for a coffee table set, would you prefer two tiers to stage some decorations on the bottom shelf? Consider the functionality or lack of functionality in the pieces you like. Make sure the furniture you buy isn’t just beautiful but also serves a purpose if you need it to.
- Remember the size of your home. Apartments and homes are very different in terms of square feet. If you don’t have the space for a large sectional, you should probably cross that off your list from the start. You should also be mindful of large bedroom collections if you’re adding new bedroom pieces to your room.
- Mind the measurements! Similar to considering the size of your space, be certain your furniture will fit instead of just “eyeballing it.” Pull out the measuring tape and figure out exactly how much space you have to work with. Then, measure the furniture at the store or take a peek at the measurements in your internet browser to be sure your new table or loveseat will fit where you want it to go. Don’t forget to measure the doorways and hallways as well. You don’t want to risk not getting the furniture in your home or down the hall.
- Balance quality and price. If you’re shopping for a mattress that you want to last for the next eight to ten years, you should be willing to spend a little bit more than an average market price. The same thing goes for dressers, side tables, sofas, and every other type of furniture you want to last. If you only need a piece of furniture for a short time, perhaps spending less money will work for your short-term needs.
- Think about delivery and shipping costs and timelines. If you buy your furniture in a brick and mortar location, you need to set aside funds for delivery or make arrangements to pick up and move your own furniture. For online orders, you need to think about shipping costs. Plus, if you opt for delivery or shipping, it may take longer than you expect for your items to arrive. American Freight offers same-day delivery for all in-stock items.
When all is said and done, you know what’s best for you. Use these seven tips to help guide you to choose the furniture that’s best for your wants and needs. If you aren’t in a rush to buy, take your time to find the right pieces.
Start Shopping Today
Are you ready to start shopping? Visit your local American Freight Furniture and Mattress or visit our website to start online shopping! There are plenty of ways to save at American Freight. We offer everyday low pricing on quality furniture for your living room, bedroom, dining room, and more. Visit a store near you to try it before you buy it. Plus, we offer low, easy payments for $50.