Are you environmentally conscious? Whether you just remember to recycle your plastics at home or “reduce, reuse, recycle” is your life mantra, there are plenty of ways to cut back on waste. Did you know you can make eco-friendly and sustainable choices with your furniture, too? In this post, we’re going to pinpoint some of the most environmentally friendly materials you can incorporate into your home design. We’ll also discuss the benefits of sustainable furniture. You might even learn the difference between “green” and “sustainable” furniture. Hint: They’re not quite the same thing. Stay tuned until the end! There will be a section dedicated to purchasing tips to help you jumpstart your sustainable furniture home designs.
In part five of our five-part 2019 Home Trends series, The Official Blog of American Freight Furniture and Mattress is helping you go green inside your home this spring. We’ve got tons of advice and ideas for creating eco-friendly and minimalist room themes that will help the environment and add style to your home. Let’s get started!
Types of Eco-Friendly and Sustainable Materials
While you’re out shopping for a new bedroom set, living room furniture, or a dining room set, it’s important to consider the materials of your pieces. Here’s a breakdown of some of the most environmentally friendly furniture you can buy:
- Sustainable or Recycled Wood—Look for labels that advertise repurposed, reclaimed, recycled or certified sustainable wood. Each of these choices helps combat deforestation and makes use of wood that’s already cut and ready to be turned into something beautiful and useful.
- Recycled Metal—Look for coffee tables, end tables, dressers, and other storage furniture that’s made of recycled metal. According to Jacob Gordon from Tree Hugger, “Recycled materials require less processing and fewer resources.”
- Repurposed or Recycled Plastic—Keep plastic out of landfills and oceans by purchasing upcycled pieces.
- Rattan or Wicker Furniture—This natural material is often woven into beautiful, durable pieces that are made to last.
- Recycled Cotton—An eco-friendly way to upholster furniture and maximize the natural cotton crop.
Repurposed materials and long-lasting furniture are all great choices for the environment. It’s important to consider what your furniture is made of and the environmental impacts of the materials while you’re shopping.
Benefits of Green and Sustainable Furniture
Do you know the difference between green and sustainable furniture? According to Ron Barth from Resource Furniture, “green” furniture usually refers to the material sourcing. That means a sofa made out of out stacked plastic bottles is technically green, but so is an accent chair filled with recycled materials in the stuffing. You want to make sure your green furniture is made of quality materials, which brings us to sustainable furniture. Barth says furniture that is “high quality and support(s) a lifestyle with reduced energy and resource needs” is considered sustainable. The main difference comes down to durability. A green piece of furniture is made of recycled materials, but if it doesn’t hold up or falls apart easily, it’s not sustainable. A quick way to remember the difference is Recycled Materials = Green and Built-to-Last = Sustainable.
Why should you consider green or sustainable furniture the next time you furniture shop? Here are some ways you and the planet will benefit:
- These furniture materials are usually made with less toxic chemicals than traditional furniture.
- You can score recycled furniture at a deep discount at furniture stores, flea markets, and consignment shops.
- Green furniture plays a role in preventing deforestation. No additional trees are cut down to make your furniture.
- The low environmental impact means you know your pieces are keeping CO2 emissions low and toxins out of the atmosphere.
- Solid hardwoods and other sustainable materials can last for generations.
- Sustainable furniture is more cost effective in the long run. You might spend a buck up front, but the product will last for decades if you take care of it.
All in all, it makes sense to put your hard-earned money towards furniture that will last. To see the selection of quality and durable furniture at American Freight Furniture and Mattress, click here or visit a store near you.
Commitment to Keeping
Let’s be honest, it can be difficult to make sure all the furniture in your home is eco-friendly plus meets your style and budget. There’s one way you can confidently purchase any kind of furniture you like and still make a positive impact on the environment: make a commitment to keeping your furniture for a long period of time. For most homeowners, selecting all wood furniture with limited or no upholstery isn’t the cozy atmosphere they wish to create. Make a compromise between comfort and sustainability by pledging to keep your furniture for years to come.
Now that you’re an expert on sustainable furniture, it’s time to shop! At American Freight, we offer unique ways to purchase modern furniture at discounted prices. We even have a selection of sustainable furniture. Here are some tips to keep in mind to help you make a wise investment and protect the planet:
- Think Multi-Purpose Pieces—Try a dining set that offers built-in storage or has a leaf to expand the table for extra seating. This will help you save space and utilize a table set for years to come. We love the Conner Dining Collection for its multiple functions. The round table sits 6 adults comfortably and the center of the tabletop features a built-in spinning tray. Plus, the base of the table offers two tiers of shelving to display decorations or store small kitchen appliances. Best of all, there’s even a built-in wine rack!
- Less is More—Smaller, compact furniture doesn’t require as many resources to produce. Plus, smaller furniture can have a tendency to be more versatile. We love the Margo Futon because it’s a small sofa that can convert into a guest bed in a matter of minutes. Stage it in an entertainment den for playing video games or watching TV. When you have overnight guests, you’ll always have a place for them to sleep.
- Buy Timeless Pieces—A piece of furniture you can utilize in many rooms, designs, and even different homes is a piece worth investing in. The Amelia Noir Occasional Collection is a coffee table set with a simple and practical design. The all-wood set features a coffee table and two identical side tables. Plus, if this beautiful dark wood color doesn’t suit your style forever, you can always paint or stain it yourself.
The key is to purchase furniture that’s practical for everyday use and your budget. For more helpful interior design tips, become a subscriber to our blog.
Visit an American Freight Near You
American Freight Furniture and Mattress makes it easy to buy modern furniture for your home at affordable prices. We offer durable and sustainable furniture that you can use for years to come. From simple coffee table sets to multi-purpose sleeper sofas, there are plenty of ways to achieve a minimalist look that promotes sustainability in your home.
Click here to find a location nearest you. While you shop, be sure to ask a store associate about payment plan options. We also offer free layaway and same-day delivery and pickup for all in-stock items. For more information about same-day delivery and layaway, click here.
Have You Heard What’s On the Blog?
Don’t ever miss a beat when it comes to The Official Blog of American Freight Furniture and Mattress. We send interior design tips and tricks directly to your inbox twice a month. Read up on all the best 2019 Home Trends and other furniture details at your leisure. Subscribe today! Click this link or the image below to sign up.
2019 Home Trends